Saturday, February 21, 2009

SQUARE FOOT GARDENING


Finally. Finally, I can say that I am following the words of the prophet. Every time gardening has come up over the years, I usually just cringed and hoped that the subject would change. Now, I can proudly say that I have A garden. Now, if it produces anything edible , is a whole different ball game. Thanks to Grandpa Huish, we spent about eight hours building our box from scratch and filling it up with 1 foot of high quality soil. Then, we cheated and got the little sprout starters from HOme Depot. Voila! Garden in a day. It was so beautiful, that I just had to take a picture of it. I hope to learn a lot about it over the coming years. I really admire those that have learned to garden , especially here in Arizona. I expect that I will make many mistakes, but hope to be blessed in spite of myself. Who knows, if I make it work, maybe I will build another box next to it. Time will tell. Now I need to work on my year supply of Chocolate.

5 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

Way to go Christina! I am impressed that looks awesome! I need to do the same as soon as we get settled. We had so much fun growing ours in our old house. You will be surprised how well it will do.

Leslie said...

Looks amazing! Good job!

skinnyphish said...

That is awesome! what did you put on the bottom of your box? Is is solid wood? is there a need for any drainage holes?

Huish Family said...

no not solid at all. Chicken wire on the bottom with that black plasic drainage stuff between the soil and the wire.

Shari Goodman said...

Yea! Congratulations! You will do great. It really is easy and the kids love it.