Friday, May 23, 2008

Why does anyone take kids to the movies????

This picture has nothing to do with my topic, but can someone tell me how to download images from the web like from the movie Prince Caspian? That is what I ventured out to take my kids to see today, seeing that it was the first official day of summer. I am trying to turn over a new leaf and be a "fun" parent instead of the drill sergeant that I have shamefully become. Do this , do that, why aren't you ready, hurry up, get in the car, you have 5 minutes to finish, and last but not least. What should you be doing right now.........then what's next. Soooooooooooo..... I am trying to be a laid back fun mom for the summer. HUMMMMMMMMMM. OCD/ADHD sets in and I am going ballistic. But I digress. So, I actually got a babysitter for Chad, since he would be impossible at the movies. Then the other four kids and I headed off to the movies. On the way, Blake made a careful and golden observation that we really don't go to the movies very often. I chuckle to myself and say, " hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder why?" Well, I seem to remember how much fun it was the last time( six months ago) and then question what I am doing on the road to disaster yet again. So, I am locked in and here we go. Things go smoothly, we stop at am/pm for icees and candy to avoid the inevitable drain at the theater. We get our tickets, and I cough up the 10 bucks for popcorn(full of trans fat). Good to go. We get in just in time , past the previews and showtime of 3:00. Prince Caspian is the pick of the day. It starts out ok and I take a deep breath and close my eyes and relish in the fact that there is no one talking to me and I block out the movie to catch some shut eye (4:30 was early today) About 1 hour into the movie and no end of it in sight the fun began. Tate needed to go to the bathroom...... get a drink.......run up and down the hall etc. We settle back in for the last part, or so I thought. Then each of the kids comes up to me in the middle of the show telling me how sick they feel (I wonder why) tangent: if you catch your kid trying to smoke, do you sit down and make him smoke the whole pack until he throw up and never wants to touch it again.........talk amongst yourselves. End tangent. Tate starts losing interest with all of the deep noble thoughts being shared on screen and 5:15 didn't come fast enough. Get me out of here. While on the drive home, the kids start bouncing off the ceiling of the suburban wondering what we are going to do when we get home............uh ........give everyone benadryl and go to bed? Oh yeah, it is only 5:30. After all of the chaos I remind myself why I don't take kids to the movies and wonder what movie will be out in six months that will provoke me to this kind of torture again. All that aside, I finally put Tate and Chad to bed and the other get wrapped up in a movie and just like going through labor, I think to myself..................................it wasn't that bad. LOL

4 comments:

Tracey said...

That's pretty cute Christina... I love how real you are! I would not be able to relate, I don't take my kids to the movies either. But, I will say that I ventured out this summer & bought those movie passes so we will see how it goes. Your blog is so cute-it reminds me of your house. Funny how peoples personalities even come out in their blogs! Hope you don't care if I put you as a link!?!

Nichole Barney said...

Hey it is fun to read about your adventures! It is funny how we parents are all the same. We try to do fun things for our kids and then end up saying WHY? I tried to log into your blog and it didnt work so I went through Traceys. I will have to get your blog address from you again so I can add you to mine.

Shawni said...

Hey I'm totally with you on the movie thing. We rarely go unless we can get a babysitter for Lu. I love how you wrote about it though, because that's exactly how I feel.

I'm so glad the liver is better...you sure know your health stuff, I'm so glad with all you've had to go through.
It was so good to get caught up with you guys the other night!

Leslie said...

Freaking hilarious!! I soo wish I was there..... not really. But kudos to you for being a super "fun" mom! love it. Yea its summer. Cant wait to swim and do movies every day.