Sunday, April 26, 2009

I CAN make Bread!


This has been a long journey in the pursuit of making delicious bread. I first became interested in making my own bread two years ago when I started taking "free" cooking classes at Shar's Bosch Center in Gilbert. I got all amped up about it and my "free" class cost Dale about $400 to buy my own wheat grinder and the glorious Bosch mixer. I was all set and ready to roll. I started early one morning and busted out all of the ingredients and started working away at it. My first batch came out flat and heavy just like bricks. I was disgusted with myself and proceeded to start over and try again. Enter OCD personality. The second time yielded the same results as did the third, fourth , fifth and finally six times. All heavy flat bricks. The shame. I then called my back door neighber Cheri and begged her to help stop the madness and figure out what was wrong with me. Come to find out, my wheat was from my food storage and was too old to really be activated by the yeast to rise. Aha! The seventh time was the charm and I was able to make big beautiful bread. Finally. Then I went to bed. Now, two years later, I don't even need to look at the recipe and I can whip it out start to finish in two hours flat. Here is the latest batch that I did!

4 comments:

Linda said...

You are a bread making machine! Good thing you didn't give up after your first 6 times... it all paid off in the end. The Bosch and the Grinder are totally worth the money. I hope to start making bread again someday soon.

Monica said...

Your bread is gorgeous. I am still working mine out! I've been to some of those "free" classes myself. Ha!

Dallas and Krista said...

Looks yummy- I just found you from Alyssa Edwards :)

Candace said...

Oh the convenience of the mixer! Kim & her mom showed me years ago and we did it by hand! Can you believe it! It is a great achievement when it's done! The best part is the house smells so good and everyone wants to eat it fresh hot! Enjoy.